Oh and a generous drizzling of my favourite sweet coconut caramel lolo completes this delicious cake!
Sticky date & apple cake with lolo
Delicious sticky date cake with a lovely apple topping
Write a review
- 125 grams of butter
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 cups of self raising flour sifted
- 1 1/2 cups of chopped dates
- 1 1/2 cups boiling hot water
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- 2-3 apples peeled, cored and sliced thinly
- 1 cup of raw sugar
- 1 400g tin of coconut cream
- Place dates in a heatproof bowl. Sprinkle over bicarbonate soda, pour over boiling water and stir to combine then leave for 30-40 minutes or until cool.
- Pre-heat oven to 170 C and grease an 8 inch cake pan with butter.
- Cream butter and sugar and vanilla in an electric mixer until light and creamy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing in well after each addition.
- Fold flour and date mixture into the butter and gently mix until just combined.
- Pour mixture into cake pan. Add apple slices arranging it into the top of the batter (about 3mm into the batter) decoratively. Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle returns clean.
- To prepare the lolo, melt raw sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar begins to melt and avoiding the sugar burning. Once sugar is completely melted, add a tablespoon of coconut cream at a time to the sugar mixture and stir it in well after each addition until the cream is all used up. Remove from the pan and allow to cool.
- Once cake is cooked remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before turning over onto serving dish. Spoon lolo caramel over the top of the cake covering apple tops completely in lolo. Serve warm with whipped cream.
- If apples start to brown too quickly, simply cover the cake top with foil until the cake is cooked.
i love coconut cream http://www.ilovecoconutcream.com/